The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

“Saw X” Provides Usual Gore, Along with Backstory

Saw X is in theaters now.

The movie “Saw X” came out a month ago, just in time for the Halloween season. The movie touches on more of John Kramer, the main antagonist in the franchise and is a prequel of the first and second movie. “Saw X” was directed by Kevin Greutert, who had made some of the prior “Saw” films. This movie adds more backstory, but still brings the gorey and unique traps that people seek in a “Saw” film.

The movie starts with main character John Kramer, who has cancer and decides to go to Mexico for his surgery. He gets there and they do the procedure. Then he eventually finds out that he still has brain cancer and the doctors and other medical personnel were fake and never actually never did the procedure. He puts them in an assortment of traps for what they did to him as revenge.

This movie has twists and turns throughout that keep viewers on the edge of their seats. There are sad moments, which may leave people rooting for the characters to survive, but there are also some more deserved tortures along the way. Cinematographer Nick Matthews said in an IDMB interview that he chose to make this movie because he had wondered how it would look to take the antagonist and turn them into the protagonist. He feels like the watcher should know more about the character John Kramer.

The movie also introduces some new characters to the twisted film. One character is Gabriela, a patient who also was supposedly cured (Renata Vaca from “Petal to the Metal”). She is a strong character throughout the movie who most people are always rooting for in these types of horror films. They also add characters like Cecelia (Synnøve Macody Lund“Ragnarok”).  Her character tries to survive and is willing to do anything to do so, even kill. There are also some returns such as Tobin Bell who plays Jigsaw himself, and has had cameos in “The Flash” and “Charmed”.  Shawnee Smith returns as Amanda Young, one of Jigsaw’s apprentices. Smith really adds that psycho-yet-sympathetic attitude toward the “doctors”.

The traps of “Saw X” all have a meaning for the fake medical team’s crimes. As the movie goes on, we see traps relating to surgical procedures, such as a bone marrow trap for one member of the team and a radiation trap for another. This adds gore as well as explanation of what they did to get them in the situation they are presented. 

This movie is for people who not just like gore, but also like to know the meaning behind a storyline. For people who have watched the previous films of the “Saw” series it may answer some unanswered questions.