The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Students GPAs Now Available in PowerSchool

A student’s Grade Point Average, or GPA, is the culmination of their school grade. This important information has been notoriously hard to find, especially for graduating seniors who need to apply to college, where it’s only been accessible on their transcript. 

But now students can now see their weighted GPA on the PowerSchool website. Students just need to go to their grades and scroll down, and their weighted GPA will be there. 

“This new system is very helpful to students who need to update their information for college or other academic opportunities,” said Guidance Counselor Mr. Robert Urbaniak. 

The weighted GPA is currently only updated to the end of the fall semester.

“Student’s only see what their GPA is up to the end of the fall semester,” said Guidance Counselor Ms. Ms. Corrine Partelow said. “It’s because the spring grades are not complete.”

This update to Powerschool was made by the District recently. The guidance office had nothing to do with it.

“They built it into the system through an update,” Mr. Urbaniak said.

Even though students have access to their weighted GPAs, students can’t look at their unweighted GPA through the website. They can find that information on their official transcripts.

“Students can always ask for a copy of their transcript,” Mrs. Partelow said.

However, Guidance heavily recommends students to request their transcripts through NeedMyTranscript.

“We always tell students to use NeedMyTranscript because after they graduate that’s where they’ll go to request their transcript,” Mr. Urbaniak said. “We want students to get used to the program now.”