The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

OPINION: ‘Percy Jackson’ Series Inclusive, Age Appropriate

Shane Anthony Sinclair/Getty Images
LONDON, ENGLAND – DECEMBER 16: (L to R) Charlie Andrews, Ellen Goldsmith-Vein, Aryan Simhadri, Leah Sava Jeffries, Walker Scobell, Karey Burke and Ayo Davis attend the UK premiere of Disney+ Original series “Percy Jackson And The Olympians” at Odeon Luxe Leicester Square on December 16, 2023 in London, England.

The new “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series produced by its author Rick Riordan. along with Jonathan E. Steinberg, is a fantasy/action TV series that premiered in December. Originally a book series, the show revolves around a preteen whose life changes overnight. He finds out that his father is a Greek god and that he is in danger. While coming to terms with his new life, he must go on a dangerous quest and face various monsters and gods. While the show does deviate from the books, it is fantastic. The casting is more inclusive and age-appropriate than the two movies based on the book, not to mention it has excellent special effects. 

The main character is Percy Jackson, played by Walker Scobell, a 12-year-old boy whose life changes when his mom tells him he is the son of a Greek god, sending him to a camp for demigods, Camp Half-Blood. An oracle then prophesies that he must return something to Zeus and he embarks on a long, treacherous journey with his friends Annabeth Chase (Leah Jeffries) and Grover Underwood (Aryan Simhadri) to the underworld and then to Mt. Olympus. While Percy Jackson is 12-years-old in the show, Scobell was 13-years-old during filming. Jeffries was 12-years-old during filming and Simhadri was 16-years-old during filming. In the original movie adaptations of the book, the actors who played these preteens and teens were in their 20s, which is one of the reasons it received so much criticism. Due to this series casting actors who mimic the ages of the characters and the fans, many fans are discovering a newfound passion for the acting.

The actors are also more diverse. In Camp-Halfblood, each camper is the child of a Greek god, a special mortal, or a satyr. Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, in the books is originally white, but in the new TV series, she is played by an African American actress. Similarly, Clarisse La Rue, daughter of Ares, is also described as white in the books, but in the TV show she is played by Dior Goodjohn who is mixed race. While some fans have said they do not like that the changes don’t agree with the book’s description, they are necessary. Diversity is important to make fans feel more included, and if the TV series were to deviate from the book, race is the perfect way to do so by making it more inclusive without changing the plot.

Beyond the cast of exceptional actors, the special effects are exceptional. The monsters the group fights are skillfully imagined and accurately represent the fictional enemies that fans are familiar with. From Percy’s iconic ballpoint pen, to sword transformation, to the amusement park scene, the crew utilizes a mix of CGI, VFX, and practical effects in order to bring the books to life. 

Between the excellent casting, inclusivity, and the special effects, the TV show is incredible for old and new fans alike. Overall, the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” show is an extraordinary adaptation of the book. With all the positive feedback from fans, the show has been renewed for Season 2.