The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Despite Record Sales, ‘Tortured Poets Department’ Not Swift’s Best

Despite Record Sales, Tortured Poets Department Not Swifts Best

With nearly 20 years in the music industry, world renowned pop star, Taylor Swift, is more popular than ever. After finishing a $1 billion world tour, Swift announced she would be releasing her 11th LP, “The Tortured Poets Department.” While wildly popular like all her past releases, the album is overstuffed and simply not her best. 

Swift may have tried to do too much. After releasing her 11th studio album, she morphed a 16-song album into a 31-song, two-hour epic just hours after its release. “It’s almost like if you produce too much…too fast…in a brazen attempt to completely saturate and dominate a market rather than having something important or even halfway interesting to say…the art suffers!” Chris Murphy, a staff writer at Vanity Fair said. 

Both fans and critics have admitted that the songs sounded a lot like the others she has already put out with. Swift’s new album focuses on her internal world. Rumors were leading to the new album being about Swift’s famous ex Matty Healy, but everyone was shocked when figuring out the new album was based on her past relationship with Joe Alwyn. The villains throughout the album are a few less famous exes of hers as pointed out in the “But Daddy I Love Him” song. The subject of the most headline-grabbing track on “The Anthology,” reimagines a high school bully with a non subtle capitalization within the title: “thanK you aIMee.” The headlining song is about the past feud between Swift and Kim Kardashian. Swift needs to let this feud go. Everyone is tired of hearing about the disagreements between these two. These might be a rough few days for the die-hard Swifty fan base, hearing criticism that they will not be happy with. “They’ll hear some valid criticism they aren’t used to, and for many they’ll have to reconcile their own truth that isn’t their favorite, while still rightly celebrating it and supporting her” co-host of the Ringer podcast said. 

Despite many flaws in the new “The Tortured Poets Department” album, it has broken many records in the music industry. The album broke the record for Spotify’s most-streamed Album in a single day, the platform said. The pop singer also became the most-streamed artist in a single day. Swift’s top songs in the album include “I Can Do it With a Broken Heart,” “Clara Bow,” and “Down Bad.” 

With many successes in the music industry also comes some failures. Critics and fans both are coming after Taylor Swift’s new album “The Tortured Poets Department” for being too much. The 31-song album was rushed out right after Swift performed her world wide Eras Tour. Overall, the album has a complicated tone and feels very thrown together. The new album was just too much.