The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Ag Students Grow Plants for Successful Sale

Isabella Avery
Sophomore Sam Douglas helps Social Studies Teacher Mr. Chris Boyle pick out some plants at the FFA Plant Sale.

The annual plant sale put on by agriculture classes was a big success.

The sale is always held in the beginning of April, and ends once all the plants are sold out. This year’s sale, which began April 8, lasted only three days, said agriculture teacher Mr. Logan Gore.

“As soon as we opened to the public we had a line waiting outside of the greenhouse,” Gore said.

Plants sold included ground covers, annuals, perennials, trees and shrubs, and money goes toward the FFA (Future Farmers of America) club, which most agriculture students are members of. FFA made around $6,500.

“We made a good profit off this sale, and can definitely put it towards some trips next year,” Gore said.

The group goes to the national convention in Indianapolis, the state convention in Greenville, and the state fair in Columbia. The money also helps with monthly FFA cookouts. 

The plants are grown by Agriculture, Horticulture, and Lawn and Turf Management classes starting in the fall.

“Everybody who was willing to help with the plant sale got to do everything from potting the plants in the beginning of the year to selling them now,” Mr. Gore said.

Horticulture student Sophomore Ethan Good, who was in Agriculture last year and horticulture this year, was involved with planting seeds, along with watering and fertilizing. The plants he likes most are the hanging ones, and his favorite part of the plant sale was helping the customers.

“We were helping the customers bring their plants to the cash register and the car,” he said.