The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Young Womens Varsity Basketball Continues to Work on Cohesion

Women’s Varsity Basketball’s overall record throughout the season was 5-17. The team had a lot of new players this year, and the team also had to adjust for injuries.
“Developing chemistry has helped overcome the challenges of having a lot of new pieces,” Coach Hampton Campbell said.
A highlight of the season happened over Christmas Break during a tournament, when the team beat highly ranked Orangeburg Wilkinson.
“We came together and beat them that game,” he said.
He is optimistic about the young women’s varsity team’s future.
“We are going to try and keep improving on our fundamentals and building team chemistry,” he said.
Senior Anna Reese Pratt was one of the strongest players on the team.
“Just based on her size, other teams had a hard time matching up,” he said.
However, Anna Reese hurt her ankle in a game against St. James and missed the last few games of the season.
Skills wise, sophomore Bri Smith “is probably our best all around fundamentally sound basketball player,” Coach Campbell said.
Bri also was hampered by an ankle injury all season. Her biggest challenges were “confidence and injuries,” she said.
Freshman Rylee Minehart said she tried to keep her teammates motivated, even when they lost.
“I just remind them that they have done good things in the game – not just all bad things,” she said.

Freshman Rylee Minehart challenges a Conway Player.

Sophomore Eden Johnson said maintaining focus and confidence is key.
“You have to build up a mentally stable brain and not be so hard on yourself,” she said.