The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

“Barbie” Movie’s Success Due to Modern Take on the Doll

Warner Bros.

The “Barbie” movie has been a hit ever since it was released in theaters. It made its first appearance in theaters on July 21. The director of this movie, Greta Gerwig, is best known for directing the movies “Little Women” and “Ladybird”. The movie’s success is due to Gerwig’s attention to detail and a smart, feminist take on Barbie, giving the audience a fresh look at the 64-year-old toy.

The movie starts off in Barbie Land, where Barbie has the most flawless morning routine. She goes through her whole day without any interruptions. As she wakes up the next day she starts to gain obvious flaws. Some of these flaws are flat feet, bad breath, and a cold shower. Although Barbie is trying to ignore her malfunctions, she can’t because her routine is now blemished. As the movie progresses, Barbie is shown trying to get her life back into order. Throughout this movie Barbie grows physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Stereotypical Barbie is portrayed by Margot Robbie, best known for playing Naomi in “The Wolf of Wall Street”. Margot Robbie nailed the outgoing, social aspect of Barbie. During the film, Barbie makes quite a few intelligent remarks, which catch some of the audience off guard; however, it enhances her true self without stereotypes.

Ken is portrayed by Ryan Gosling, best known for playing Sebastian in “La La Land”. Ken’s personality stems from the idea of him being insecure and self conscious, mainly because he relies on Barbie for his happiness. Ken’s unexpected villain-like attributes turn Barbie Land into Kendom, which pursues the realization that Barbie and Ken aren’t as compatible as people make them out to be.

Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” focuses on little details that most people tend to miss. As the movie progresses, Barbie starts to become more human-like. Her tan begins to fade and her outfits and hair become more relaxed. However, Ken becomes more doll-like. His tan gets more vibrant and his hair becomes blonder, giving him a more plastic look. This really sets the idea of where each character was meant to be. Barbie starts to feel out of place and awkward in Barbie Land, which leads to her wanting to join the real world. Ken stays back in Barbie Land after Barbie encourages him to create an identity of his own.

One of the main themes throughout the movie is the empowerment of women. Traditionally, women have always been expected to conform and mold themselves into stereotypes, which Barbie represents. However, as Barbie breaks free from these stereotypes, she starts to understand what she was truly made for. She wasn’t made to live a plastic life but to find her true happiness. 

This film is very relatable today as more women are starting to stray from societal norms. This movie is entertaining and it was made for all ages to watch. Although some of the jokes might be too mature for a young audience, it still portrays an empowering message for all to hear.