The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Science Students Now Have an Honor Society

This year, Socastee introduced the Science National Honors Society (SNHS) to recognize excellence in science courses at honors, AP, and IB levels. 

Head science teacher Mr. Shannon Stone said he brought the organization to Socastee because science was the only subject that did not have an honor society.

“I thought that…the students who excel in science…needed to be recognized,” he said.

The SNHS requires applicants to have completed at least an honors level science in addition to currently being enrolled in a science course. Students also need to maintain a 3.0 unweighted GPA across all classes and an unweighted 3.5 GPA in all science courses.

An additional requirement for members is they have to attend monthly meetings and participate in projects.

“The national organization requires that we have officers in the club do presentations on science topics,” Mr. Stone said. “We’ll pick a modern science issue that they want to talk about…do a brief presentation and spark some discussion students would find interesting.”

The SNHS national organization encourages members to stay after school and help students with tutoring on the subject.

“Hopefully, we will be able to set up something next year where some of our members can offer to hang out after school and work with any students who need help,” Mr. Stone said.

The SNHS will support other science clubs at Socastee, such as the Ocean Club.

“[The Ocean Club] focuses a lot on the environment, oceans, and beaches, and we’d like to work closely with them and support them,” he said.