The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Mock Trial Places in States

Kelley French
Rebecca Norton Baker and other members of the Mock Trial team participate in a case.

After not competing last year, the mock trial team placed 2nd out of 12 schools at the Georgetown Regional competition, then went on to place 4th in the state.

“It was really fun because I feel like we proved ourselves,” Junior Captain Erin Maguire said, “and most of our team were freshmen this year and are new to mock trial.”

Erin Maguire and Rebecca Norton Baker recruit 8th graders for Mock Trial at Socastee Showcase.

Mock trial is a club where students act out fictional court cases. They compete in real courtrooms and write questions, along with closing and opening statements.

“Students in the club are assigned to be a role witness or attorney,” Senior Mock Trial co-Captain Rebecca Norton-Baker said. “Sometimes, students get assigned to be the time-keeper.”

Rebecca has been in mock trial for seven years since  6th grade. She joined because her friends were doing it.

“For five years, I was always a witness, but the past two years, I’ve been an attorney.” she said. “I like being captain because mock trial is the main thing I do, and since half the team is made up of freshmen, I like taking on the leadership role.”

She said she might go into a career that involves law.

“I like being in the courtroom, because I think it’s a good fit for me, because I like doing the writing and research,” she said.

Erin also has been in mock trial since seventh grade. This year, she is the prosecution attorney.
“I did the opening, and direct and cross examination,” she said.

Erin joined mock trial because she enjoys public speaking and it is an interesting way to learn about law.

“I made a lot of friends through mock trial, and the competitions are really fun,” she said, “especially being in the courtroom environment.”

Last year, the mock trial team wasn’t able to compete after a number of people dropped out. Erin says the hardest thing in mock trial is thinking on her feet in the courtroom.

“It’s a lot of pressure, especially during objections.”