The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Angel Tree Project Raises Record Amount

Sophomores Paola Rodriguez-Morales and Addison Morales hang angels bought by their Honors Chemistry class.

The Angel Tree charity project hit a record this year, raising more than $2,000 for families of students in need. 

The angel tree project is organized by guidance counselors Mrs. Margaret Adams and Mrs.Brittany Belcher. Students around the school come together and raise money as a class to purchase as many $20 angels as they can. Once a class purchases an angel, they can decorate it however they want and then display it out front of the Guidance Office on the designated Angel Christmas Tree. 

“The money from the angels is used to help families in the Socastee communities who may need a little extra assistance for the holiday season,” Mrs. Adams said. 

The class that buys the most angels gets a pizza party. The winner this year was science teacher Mr. Chris Weeks’ second block Honors Chemistry class. 

To motivate his students to participate, Mr. Weeks said he holds up a drink one of his student’s has in class and asks about the cost. 

“I ask if they can do without that for a day to help someone who may be in need,” he said. 

He tells students to look at the fundraiser as an opportunity to help others.

“I say from day one that this isn’t about winning a pizza party; it’s about helping out those who are less fortunate than we may be.” 

Honors Chemistry students sophomore Addison Freer, who donated $60, said Mr. Weeks motivated her to give. 

“He is right,” she said. “If you have enough to give, why not help out?”

She is happy for the chance to make someone’s Christmas better.

”Everyone deserves that happiness,” she said.