New Asst. Principal Switches from Sharks to Braves

New Asst. Principal Mrs. Miriam Fischer works in her office on the third floor.

At the St. James football game last week, new assistant principal Mrs. Maryam Fischer cheered when the Braves won, but doing so felt a little odd. 

Mrs. Fischer was at St. James for 13 years — as a health science teacher and assistant athletic trainer for eleven years, and an administrator for two years — before coming to Socastee this year. 

“It was different being on the other side of the field,” she said, “but I was cheering for Socastee 100 percent.” 

Now, one of four assistant principals, Mrs. Fischer is mainly responsible for freshman class discipline. She said she’s especially focused on the at-risk students to help them get better grades that they need to move on to the next grade level.

“It’s very crucial for me to help freshmen get on track; they’re like my babies,” she said.

She said the biggest discipline issues this year are online. 

“It’s a lot of virtual stuff now, not behaving during Googlemeets, emailing inappropriate things to teachers, or using inappropriate images,” she said. “It is a bit challenging with covid curveballs and changing policies, but the students and staff have been wonderful,” she said.

She is looking forward to her future years here at Socastee.

She said there is a bright side about starting a new job during the pandemic. “We’re all in the same boat. We’re all almost starting fresh this year and this is new to everyone.”