The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Prom Trends 2024

itsmilla.com
Dresses from Itsmilla.com

The theme of this year’s prom on March 28 is Enchanted Forest, and it will be held at the Barefoot Conference Center. “The theme is really cute and creative,” senior Arianna Simmons said. “I think it makes it really easy for people to dress up as well.” 

For those who need some tips on dressing up for the big night, read on. 

Dress Styles

There’s a pretty consistent thought on the most trendy style of dresses for Prom this year. Many people are thinking velvet, a little bit of sequins, classic ruffles and tight dresses. The style of dresses will be more simple and classy instead of big and extravagant like previous years. “From vibrant hues to soft pastels – via overbloom flowers and playful tulle – these styles are set to make a statement, embracing a fusion of boldness and elegance,” fashion blog  ItsMilla said. Junior Scout Owens (11) predicts there will be a very vintage vibe to prom dresses with a 1940s movie premiere feel to them. “I’m predicting a lot of classy looks this year with black and velvet being incorporated into everyone’s looks,” he said. 

Hot Colors

“The top 5 trendiest colors for this year are red, light blues, soft pinks, pastel purples, and dazzling whites,” writer Valerie Mekki said on the website for Windsor, which sells prom dresses at hundreds of stores around the country. “This year, it’s not just about the fresh and new shades making waves; it’s also about a diverse range.”

Prom chaperones and English teachers Mrs. Amanda Urbaniak and Mr. Eric Haas, however, believe black and blue are always a favorite. “People like blue, it’s an easy color to wear,” Mr. Haas said. 

Shoe type

The shoe trends for this year’s prom will be pretty similar to the past couple of years – a lot of smaller heels over stilettos, with basic colors and metallics gold and silver. “Us girls have to wear small heels because the boys don’t grow tall nowadays,” senior Mckenlee Angel said.  Seventeen Magazine’s Hannah Oh said it’s also a matter of practicality. “Functional features ,.. like a kitten heel for easy dancing or chunky platforms… make walking a total breeze.”

Hairstyle Trends

The trendiest styles for hair this year will be the people rocking curls and slick backs. “Slick back or something involving them will be very popular this year because everyone’s been doing that hairstyle,” said senior Sophia Funderburk, who plans to wear her hair like that. Promgirl.com gives tips for how to style sleek and other looks.

Jewelry Trends

The Jewelry trends this year are focusing on dainty yet long jewelry. Many people are saying sparkly jewelry will be the trend to help bring the Enchanted forest theme to their looks. A lot of people are saying that bracelets are a no-go this year but necklaces and earrings are a must have. “There will be a lot of sparkly and almost crystal-like jewelry this year,” senior Gabby Martin said. “The 2024 Jewelry Trends are exciting because they are a continuation and rejuvenation of trends we’ve seen before,”  Style Casters’ Olivia Marcus said. “ You’ll love the sparkly diamond hoops or necklaces that were popular during fashion week.”