The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

How to Dress Like a “Mob Wife”

VH1

The mob wife trend has had a massive impact on social media, racking up hundreds of millions of views. This trend features flashy and bold make-up, hair, clothing, and accessories that give off a luxurious and expensive feel. Here’s how to embrace your inner mob wife.

Origins of the Trend

To get the look of a true mob wife, you have to know where the trend came from. It started to get popular as shows and movies that show this style resurfaced, causing a younger audience to show interest. Actresses who played mob wives include

Edie Falco or Drea de Matteo in “The Sopranos,” (which recently celebrated a 25th anniversary), Sharon Stone in “Casino” or Lorraine Bracco in “Goodfellas”.

What Clothes to Wear

First, you’re going need a big fur coat, this is essential! It would make your look even better if it was animal print as well. If you’re on a budget you can do faux. Then you need some leather in your outfit, whether it’s leather boots or pants. Finally, you can add a dress or a turtleneck to finish it off! Most of the outfits are either dark colors or animal prints. This video sums up the look.

Singer Dua Lipa wears a luxurious fur to the “Barbie Movie” premier. (GC)

How to Accessorize

You need to have a lot of jewelry! The bigger the better! This video gives an example. Gold chunky chain necklaces are a good option. Also, have a pair of shades that go nicely with the outfit to give an expensive and mysterious vibe. Have a handbag with you at all times! It would be best if it was either black or animal print.

How to Style Your Hair

Make sure your hair is bold! It should have a lot of volume to it. The hairstyle should bring the whole outfit together. Whether it’s in a curly messy bun or straightened down with volume. You can even add some jewelry to your hair. It could be fancy clips or other accessories. Here’s an example.

How to do Your Makeup

The makeup should have hints of gold or silver and darker colors like brown or black as the eyeshadow. A nice smoky eye would be perfect for this look. And then your lips could be a nice nude or perhaps a bright red to show power. This makeup should also be bold! Make a statement if you want, and show off yourself. Numerous tutorials can be found on YouTube.

Attitude

The attitude you should give would be very careless but also have a sense of feeling very powerful. You should also be fearless and ready to face anything — because you know you can! Changing your attitude to embody being a mob wife isn’t essential to take the look to the next level.

Do you have to follow these exact steps? No. Mob wives do what they want! These are just the basics of becoming a mob wife, but have fun with it and change it up however you want. 

Two of the characters in “The Sopranos” —  both embody the “mob wife” aesthetic very well.