The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Ms. Hamilton Comes to Socastee from Loris HS

Social+Studies+Teacher+Ms.+Kira+Hamilton+moves+to+her+next+class.+She+is+among+several+new+teachers+who+travel+between+classrooms+with+a+cart.+
Chloe Levesque
Social Studies Teacher Ms. Kira Hamilton moves to her next class. She is among several new teachers who travel between classrooms with a cart.

For new social studies teacher Ms. Kira Hamilton, coming to Socastee meant taking a big risk. 

Ms. Hamilton taught for two years at Loris High School, teaching 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades.

After the bonds she made with all her students and teacher friends, as much as she loved them all dearly, she decided to make a change.

“To anyone who is nervous about transferring schools, I would say have confidence in yourself and don’t be afraid to take the risk,” she said.

Part of her motivation to come to Socastee was hearing about the school from stepdad Mr. Michael Crouch, a math teacher here, who would always brag to her about how much he enjoyed the school. 

“So when a social studies position became available, I took a chance and applied … and here I am,” Ms. Hamilton said.

Ms. Hamilton grew up in Conway and attended Conway High, graduating in 2016. She was very involved in extracurriculars in school. 

“ I was in the Acapella Choir, president of the National Honors Society, and I was even my school’s mascot my senior year.”

When Ms.Hamilton was growing up, she loved playing school and always knew she wanted to be a teacher when she got older.

“When I was in 9th grade I had a ‘a-ha’ moment where I decided I could combine my two favorite things, history and teaching,” she said, “so I became a history teacher.”