The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

New Teacher Ms. Davis Learning A Lot in her First Year

Chloe Levesque
Ms. Mary “Gracie” Davis teaches a physics class.

New physics teacher Ms. Davis was inspired by a sibling to become a teacher .

“My older sister is a high school teacher and I’ve always looked up to her,” she said.  “I also had a fantastic science teacher when I was in high school that made me want to be a teacher as well.”

A graduate of Myrtle Beach High School, then Francis Marion University, this is her first teaching job. She played competitive volleyball in both high school and college, winning a conference title, and her degree is in biology.

“I was always more interested in life sciences like biology and environmental Science,” she said.

So, when she was told she would be teaching physics first semester, she was not thrilled.

“I was nervous,” she said, ”but teaching physics has allowed me to have a new appreciation for that science.”

She will be teaching biology next semester, which she looks forward to.

Ms. Davis said she plans a lot of lessons that involve group projects.

“I feel that this is the best way to learn science, because science is a lot of ‘learn by doing’,” she said. “Group learning provides a safe environment in the class where students aren’t afraid to ask questions and discuss topics.”

Teaching here at Socastee has taught her a lot.

“ I have learned a lot about who I am as a teacher as well as what I can work on to be better,” she said.

She is grateful for all the help she’s gotten as a first year teacher.

“The administration has been super helpful towards us first year teachers,” she said, “and the science department has never hesitated to help me out with materials and advice.”

Ms. Davis plans to stay at her new school for a while.

“I look forward to many more years here at Socastee High School,” she said.