The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

OPINION: Even “Haters” Can’t Deny Taylor Swift’s Positive Impact

Taylor Swift performs Karma in Arlington, Texas, on her Eras Tour
Ronald Woan
Taylor Swift performs “Karma” in Arlington, Texas, on her Eras Tour

Since Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour announcement on Nov 1, 2022, she’s been given a substantial amount of attention. In addition to all her success from past record sales and tours, this era of Swift’s life is giving her even more than anyone would have expected. Anyone can see her all throughout social media; even the NFL includes her in their feed since she started dating Chiefs player Travis Kelce a few months ago. She is considered the female version of the Roman Empire in how much influence she has. Some people claim that her online presence is too much. However, she shows power and grace on and off the stage. Despite what people say, Swift’s popularity has been a positive influence on men and women alike.

First, Swift’s Eras concerts have helped the economy. The Eras Tour is the latest tour Swift has done since Lover Fest, which was canceled due to COVID-19. The Eras Tour followed the release of “Midnights” released by Swift October 21, 2022. This brought a wave of excitement to fans, giving them ten eras to now enjoy. The tickets for the tour went on sale Nov 15, 2022. More than 3.5 million people registered for Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan presale in the U.S.; however, the website crashed in an hour. Despite this, 2.4 million tickets were sold for Swift’s tour, which broke the record for the highest single-day ticket sales. Every city where she has toured has shown an increase in revenue, not only the arenas but all local establishments. 

Following the end of the first U.S. leg of the tour,  Swift announced the release of tickets to her movie, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” at the end of August.  The Eras Tour movie gave all the Swifties who could not afford or get tickets for the tour a taste of the show. She made over $100 million in global pre-sales, which broke the theater’s record for highest ticket sales revenue during a single day. The movie was rescheduled to open a day earlier due to high demand. The theaters hosting the  movie are selling merchandise as if it is a concert. Other movies that were scheduled to release that day were rescheduled to a later date. Some theaters only have the Eras movie running the first weekend of its release due to the noise anticipated by the audience singing along to the concert.

Finally, Swift has been a role model of professionalism in how she has handled her latest relationship. She has been dating Kelce, the Kansas City Chiefs’ tight end for a few months. Kelce attended the Eras Tour when Swift performed in Kansas City at the same arena where the Chiefs play. He stated, “I’ve seen you rock the stadium at Arrowhead. You might have to come see me rock the stage at Arrowhead and see which one’s a little more lit.” Despite cameras being on her every moment when she attends Chiefs games, and paparazzi following her and Kelce around, she doesn’t complain and is able to focus on her relationship. On Sept 24, Swift was seen in a luxury suite with Kelce’s mom at the Kansas City Chiefs game. The NFL took the opportunity to utilize Kelce’s fanbase to increase viewership for any Chiefs’ game. They even used the hand heart emoji to represent Swift’s “Fearless heart” hand gesture. Since that game she has attended all but one Chiefs’ game. Swift’s fan base has since become Kelce fans and in doing so, Chiefs’ fans. This has been a win for the NFL as their fanbase has increased.

Some say that the Swift obsession has gone too far. Some do not understand the hype revolving around the movie and are irritated that their Halloween movies that were going to be released have been delayed. Some men have been complaining that Swift did not put Kelce “on the map” and that he did not need her to boost his popularity. However, all the attention being given to Swift gives people, especially teenage girls, a role model. The Eras Tour movie gave all the Swifties who could not afford or attend the tour a taste of the show. While Kelce has been known for playing on the Chiefs, his popularity has definitely spiked since the developing relationship of him and Swift. Also every city where she has toured has shown an increase in revenue, not only the arenas but all local establishments. She is not only influential in America, but reaches an international audience.

There have been many well-known artists throughout history. Few have reached the popularity of Taylor Swift. Some say that if she ran for president, she would win due to her large fanbase. Not only does she influence the music industry, but she has the ability to crash websites and search engines, as well as influence the NFL. It would be hard to find someone who as spread as much positivity as she has.