The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Coach Gibby Now a Full-time Teacher, Too

Chloe Levesque
Mr. Jeff Gibbins, aka Coach Gibby, teaches a grammar lesson in the special education room.

Mr. Jeffery Gibbins (aka Coach Gibby) is new to the special ed program this year, but he’s been a part of the school in other ways for years. 

He has been a wrestling and football coach here for the past few years while serving as the lead Special Ed teacher at Socastee Middle School. He also was a student here in the 90s.

Now, he is a co-teacher for English 1, English 2, and social studies, working with “students who need just a little more help than other kids,” he said. 

While in college, Coach Gibby majored in psychology, then earned his teaching certification later.

“In college, I was always good with kids and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, so I decided to become a teacher,” he said. 

He enjoys helping students learn important skills they will need their whole lives.

“I chose to teach reading because you have to do it increasingly day by day, seeing how everything is on the computer or email, and that’s what the world revolves around.”

He also has always coached. He began coaching spring football conditioning in high school, and has been in various positions at the school ever since. Currently, he coaches the wrestling team and is the JV football coach.

“In college, I did wrestling, and when I became a teacher I thought I would be great at it,” he said.