The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Seniors Celebrate End of Childhood with Character Backpacks

They’re also carrying around cameras to capture memories throughout senior year
Senior+Ava+Boeth+carries+the+childrens+backpack+and+lunchbox+she+bought+for+senior+year.+
Isabella Barisoff
Senior Ava Boeth carries the children’s backpack and lunchbox she bought for senior year.

The halls of Socastee could be mistaken for those of an elementary school. This is because many seniors are are using childish backpacks such as Frozen, Lilo & Stitch, and even Paw Patrol, to reminisce during their final year in highschool.

“I was like ‘I well might as well do it because it’s my last year’,” Senior Davelyn Domenico, who bought a Frozen backpack to use for school this year, said. “I just thought it was fun and cute.”

Davelyn said seniors are getting nostalgic in other ways, too. 

“A lot of my friends have been buying either little film cameras or digital cameras, and then they take pictures,” she said, “and then some people make little senior year boxes like a Memory Box.”

High schools throughout Horry County have been partaking in the backpack trend.

“I know a lot of seniors actually doing it, at our schools and others near us,” Senior Pebbles Chestnut, said. “Carolina Forest and Myrtle Beach are also participating.”

Senior Ava Boethe has a Lilo & Stitch backpack and a Paw Patrol lunch box, said it’s fun to wear the same kind of backpack she might have had in elementary. 

“We’re all still kids, you know,” Ava said.

She’s having fun with the trend but said there have been a few struggles with using a kid-size backpacks, including that they’re not very durable.

My book bag is really small because it’s for kids, so all my stuff is crammed in here… it’s definitely gonna fall apart by the end of the year. Definitely,” she said.

Ava also is participating in the mini-camera trend.

“Me and my friend are doing a picture every day of senior year”