The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

New Spanish Teacher Has Variety of Talents, Skills

Ms. Jonica Brown teaches Spanish 1.

Ms. Jonica Brown, a Spanish teacher here at Socastee High School, has had a non-traditional path to teaching. 

She does not have a teaching degree, but is pursuing one through the district’s alternative certification program. While she does not have her certification yet, she brings a variety of life and career experiences into her classroom.

The Conway High/ATA graduate was voted “Most Likely to Succeed” her senior year, graduated top 10 in her class, and earned a Cosmetology license. She also was involved in the Marching Band Dance Team, Drama Club, track and NHS.

After high school, she attended Coastal Carolina University, where she minored in Spanish and majored on Mass Communications.

“It’s important we have an understanding of the other people that make up the world population,” she said, “and we can’t do that if we can’t talk to them.”

Starting in high school, she was really interested in communicating through radio.

“I used to do a radio show for teenagers when I was in high school, and I did some on- campus things [with radio at Coastal],” she said. “But after graduation, I found my love in teaching, so I did that instead.”

She also has a passion for dancing and music. She works part time as a Ballroom and Latin dance teacher, and would love to start her own club one day.

“A couple of years ago, one of my good friends decided to open a company for choreography and asked if I would help him to come up with things for Quinceaneras and Sweet 16s,” she said. 

Someone who inspires her is Dolly Parton.

.“Miss Dolly is everything that I think small, petite, feisty women should aspire to be – very classy but yet so fiery,” she said 

She also admires Angela Bassett. 

“She is honestly just such a symbol of great power for women of color and just women in general.”