The Student News Site of Socastee High School

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

The Native Voice

Football Wins First Homecoming Game in Almost a Decade

Sophomore defensive tackle Jaiden Thomas makes a play against Conway.

Varsity football won a homecoming game for the first time in eight years this year against Conway on October 13.

The last time the  varsity team won the homecoming game was in 2014 against West Florence with a score of 27-24. The game against Conway was almost as close with a score of 27-21. The team’s record is now 2-6, with its other win coming in its first game against North Myrtle Beach.

“I’m proud of how far the team has come, especially from week one against North Myrtle Beach, to achieve all we have, all the losses, all the wins,” Junior receiver and safety Jonathan Goswick said.

Athletic Director Joshua Vinson said the team’s hard work, along with all the support it received, led to the Homecoming victory.

“They’ve been going since the summer for this season – the players, the coaches, the trainers, the cheerleaders, the Bravettes, the band – everybody has put a lot of hard work, a lot of effort in making this season successful,” Coach Vinson said.

The game was tied at the end of the 1st quarter 7-7. Then, Conway scored two touchdowns in the second quarter, and the Braves scored one, leaving them behind by a score of 21-14. In an exciting fourth quarter, Conway fumbled and the Braves scored the next drive. Then, Conway fumbled again and the Braves scored on the following possession. 

“It came down to the end, I definitely thought we played better than Conway, I thought we deserved to win, and the boys made enough plays to seal the deal…they deserved it,” Coach Vinson said.

Senior linebacker Ethan Godwin said an optimistic mindset, even during a challenging season, helped achieve the Homecoming win.

“A positive attitude always leads to a better performance in a game,” Ethan said. 

Senior Quarterback Rocco Wojcik agreed.

“I think that if you have the mindset that you’re going to win, then you’re going to have a good chance of going out there and winning.” he said. 

Senior receiver Quadir Scott said anyone who puts their mind to anything can be successful.

“If you train your mind to win, or to accomplish anything it will be done,” he said.