Students Celebrate Day of the Dead

Mr. Parris set up an ofrenda for his Spanish classes.

A lot of people know about the Day of the Dead from watching the movie Coco, but the holiday is actually celebrated by a number of students here at Socastee.
Sophomore Kimberly Gonzalez, who is of Mexican descent, celebrated the holiday at home with her family by putting up pictures of her grandparents and three uncles who have passed. Her and her family lit candles for them. It is a tradition she plans to continue with her own children.
“It is special to me because it helps me remember them,” she said.

Sophomore Kimberly Gonzalez’s family’s Day of the Dead ofrenda (“offering” to a loved one who has passed on).

Mexicans and other Hispanic cultures celebrate El Días De los Muertos, or Day of the Dead from October 31 through November 2.
It is a day where families welcome back the souls of their deceased relatives by setting up sugar skulls, food and drink offerings, and pictures of their relatives on a home altar called an ofrenda, which means “offering”, according to History.com. People who celebrate the holiday believe the gates of Heaven open at midnight of October 31 and the spirits of children join their families for 24 hours; the adults do the same on November 2.
Some families have gatherings at gravesites, which become family reunion picnics—with the dead invited. Food, drink, music, flowers, and fireworks are often part of the celebration.
Spanish Teacher Mr. Matthew Parris (Room 224) held a Day of the Dead celebration in his classroom by setting up an ofrenda for students to lay out their family photos. They also decorated sugar skulls in his classroom.
Other cultures like China, North Korea, South Korea, Cambodia, and Nepal also celebrate a similar type holiday (China and Cambodia call it “Ghost Festival”) but in different months. Some Christian religions also celebrate All Souls Day on November 2, which celebrates departed souls and pray that they are welcomed into Heaven.