Performing Arts Takes Holiday Show Outside

Socastee Singers perform at Amp Up Your Holidays

This year’s holiday performing arts show was moved outdoors due to COVID. A stage was set up on the football field, while audience members watched from safely spaced lawn chairs or stadium seats.

“We wanted to think outside the box and find a way to safely do what we love,” Choral Director Mrs. Farrah Beaudry said. “It offered people a moment of normalcy and a chance to uplift their spirits in the holiday season.”

The show on December 12 included song and dance numbers from the Socastee Singers, Bellas & Fellas, and Bravettes. A number of soloists performed, too, such as Sophomore Joyce Simpson, Junior Grace Mauldin, and Freshman Max Mishler, each of whom performed a song from a Broadway show. Other soloists and duets sang holiday songs. 

The Forestbrook and Socastee Middle School bands also performed. A visual arts show with pieces from both high school and middle school students was part of the show, too.

“This was a new experience, and I highly recommend it for those who are not in a performance group” Run Crew Chief Sophomore Hunter Holbrook said. 

Senior Dorian Veliky, who is a member of the Socastee Singers, said she was happy the show went on.  “I’m really glad I got to do at least one performance my senior year.” 

It wasn’t easy, though, as teachers had to come up with safety procedures, rules, marked spots to sit on, and move  ticket sales online so people could have fun while social distancing. 

“We asked that everyone social distance and wear masks,” Mrs. Beaudry said “We marked the field so that guests would sit socially distanced.”

Also, performers wore masks up until they were on stage and as soon as they stepped off stage.  The stage also was set up to keep performers socially distanced. Despite the restrictions, most students enjoyed the performance.

“It was an excellent opportunity for each student to be able to participate in something despite the COVID circumstances,” Socastee Singer Senior Charity Hillegass said. 

The audience seemed to enjoy it, too. 

“It’s really worth breaking your back to see people happy with the performance” said Student Production Team Member Freshmen Reed Coley.

Student Production Team Member Freshmen Addison Bond added, “This was the perfect way to get people into the holiday spirit after the craziness of this year.”