Seniors Spread Their Wings After High School

April 25, 2022

Socastee Seniors will be taking many different paths after graduation. Whether it be focusing on academics, sports, or chasing other dreams and aspirations, seniors are beginning their next chapter in life. The stories below highlight a few seniors and their plans for the future.

Megan Hickey

Megan+Hickey

What are you doing after graduation?

I plan on majoring in Molecular Biology at Princeton University in New Jersey.

What are you most excited/nervous about?

I’m most excited about the 10 hour driving distance between Princeton and Myrtle Beach but also the chance to learn about more diverse topics that aren’t offered as courses at Socastee and learning how to play rugby. I’m nervous about being in an unfamiliar place with entirely new people as I suck at meeting new people, but I have improved a lot at socializing this year. 

What do you plan on doing after college?

After college, I plan on continuing my education in medical school 

How do you think your hard work at Socastee will contribute to your future?

My time at Socastee High School will definitely help with that(hopefully). Surviving the IB program has taught me how to more successfully study, have intellectual conversations about various topics, and deal with a rigorous course load which, no doubt, will be useful at Princeton. There’s also the confidence, leadership skills, and the ability to loudly and competently express myself that I’ve gained throughout my time in AFJROTC.

Caleb Barfield

Caleb Barfield

What are you doing after graduation?

After graduation, I’ll be going on staff at the church that my father pastors, taking over our online campus ministry. This being our live streams, podcast, social media, and our contract with Dominion TV. IN the fall I will be taking online classes at Lee University in Cleveland TN, August I will be going through the program from our church denomination that makes me an ordained exhorter.

I’m most nervous about not living up to the standards I have set for myself, also I am not much of a tech wizard. But I am most excited to see my next steps in life come out of this opportunity.

What inspired you to do this career?

I was called to ministry at the age of 13 shortly after my grandpa died, so I decided to run with the calling and see where it took me.

What’s your dream job?

My dream job is youth ministry. Ultimately I love speaking to kids because I went through all of the struggles that these kids are going through, but I did prevail.

Justin Alquiza

Justin+Alquiza

What are you doing after graduation?

I’m not sure where I’m going to college yet, but wherever I go I’ll be majoring in criminal justice.

Out of everywhere you’ve been offered, what are your top choices?

My top choices are Lebanon Valley College, USC Upstate, and USC Aiken

When did you start playing basketball?

I started playing when I was 4

I’m excited about being able to play basketball at the college level, but nervous about leaving home.

What are your plans for after college?

After college I plan to go to law school and get my law degree.

Grace Mauldin

Grace+Mauldin

What are you doing after graduation?

After graduation I will be attending Shenandoah University in Winchester, Virginia, for musical theater.

When did you get involved in performing?

I started performing in Socastee High Schools musicals when I was 5 years old in kindergarten and have been doing them almost every year since then. I have also performed in a variety show called High Steppin Country the summers of 2019, 2021, and I will be performing in it this summer as well. Performing in a variety show has made me a better performer for when I am doing anything in musical theater. I have been taking dance, singing, and acting lessons since I was about 5 years old.

I am most excited about meeting new people and being able to live in a whole new environment. I am also excited about learning new ways to improve my craft with amazing teachers.

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be a performer on Broadway. 

Do you have a plan for after college?

After college I plan to continue in musical theater. 

Lauryn Dixon

Lauryn+Dixon

What are you doing after graduation?

I’m going to Erskine College in Dewest SC, majoring in biology and playing lacrosse.

When did you start playing lacrosse?

I started playing when I got to high school in 2018.

What are you most nervous/excited about?

I’m nervous for making new friends, excited about meeting my teammates.

What are your plans for after college?

After college I’ll hopefully go to veterinary school to then become a veterinarian.

Chinnan Malayaporn

Chinnan+Malayaporn

What are you doing after graduation?

I’m going to Strand college of hair and design for cosmetology.

I’m most excited to learn things about cosmetology and most nervous about starting in a new unfamiliar environment for me.

What inspired you to do this career?

My inspiration for this career kicked up ever since I was a little girl. The way I can change someone’s appearance to make them confident and feel good sounds like so much fun to me.

What’s your dream job?

My dream job is do anything from nails to hair, and bring up my social media platform and possibly make that a job also.